Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Reloading for 30-30

What’s everyone using for their 30-30 loads? Bullet/powder combos or what have you. I’m going to start reloading for this caliber and was just wondering what everyone was using. Anything I need to know before I start loading for it? I’ve got dies, FCD, brass and some bullets already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clopez View Post
    What’s everyone using for their 30-30 loads? Bullet/powder combos or what have you. I’m going to start reloading for this caliber and was just wondering what everyone was using. Anything I need to know before I start loading for it? I’ve got dies, FCD, brass and some bullets already.

I have loaded Hornady 160gr FTX with Varget, 3031, and 4064 with good results. Just make sure you get a good crimp on your bullets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Which action/what gun ??
    Hunting ??
    What distance ?? --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Marlin 336. Hunting/plinking. No more than 150 yards max and probably more 75-100.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muforester View Post
    I have loaded Hornady 160gr FTX with Varget, 3031, and 4064 with good results. Just make sure you get a good crimp on your bullets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I’ve used the FTX bullets in my Bushmaster and had great results. So I’ll add that to my list. I’ve got some Varget so I’ll give that a shot as well. Thanks for the reply.

Title
    Premium Member
    Standard ol' 170 gr Remington CL, or a Sierra, Hornady, Speer 170 gr soft point.

Load it to about 2,000 fps and all is well. What a sweetheart of a cartridge.

Guy

Title
    Premium Member
    I shot a 165gr with IMR3031. But I've been using Varget in my other rifles in place of the 3031. So that'd be a good powder to. Just make sure you use a round nose bullet. I've heard a spire point can set off the other rounds in the tube. Never seen it happen but it's better safe than sorry. If you're wanting a good hunting round round can use a nosler partition. Just only put one in the chamber and either load the tube with round nose or put only one other spirit point inn. I chose to load the tube with round nose. They shot close enough together that there wasn't enough difference to matter. Good luck. Have fun and be safe.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    PS: Do not use a 110gr speed hollow point on deer. Its a bomb. You'll loose alot of meat and or bust the guts. I loaded some for my cousins son and it was messy. Shot great and definitely killed but it was bad messy.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    PS: Do not use a 110gr speed hollow point on deer. Its a bomb. You'll loose alot of meat and or bust the guts. I loaded some for my cousins son and it was messy. Shot great and definitely killed but it was bad messy.

Speer not speed. Damn autocorrect

Title
    Premium Member
    I asked in post #3 because I was hopeing that you had a single shot or bolt gun.
    About a year ago I picked up a NEF Handi Rifle chambered in 30-30Win,NIB for $100.
    It is the typical "fun gun". I am still going thru my stash of about 25 different .308" bullets in this gun. It will even shoot a 180gr jacketed flat base bullet accurately. The 110gr varmint bullets are tons of fun,and this gun,with it's super strong action will handle pressures up to failed brass.
    In the near future I will have a buddy resize some 375Win brass into 30-30Win. With it much thicker web I will see how fast I can move bullets up to about 150grs.
    Fun gun !! --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2